Courgette, Pistachio and Lime Cake Recipe
As seen in the Wild Strawberry Café, one of our favourite cakes which just so happens to be vegan too!
Makes 1 x 8 inch cake
- 140g shelled pistachios (not salted)
- 360g courgettes
- 3 limes, zested
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed & 7.5 tbsp water OR 3 large eggs
- 110ml Chiltern Rapeseed oil OR vegetable oil
- 215g soft light brown sugar
- 285g self-raising flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Grease and line an 8 inch cake tin and preheat the oven to 170 Degrees.
- Make your ‘flax eggs if using ,by mixing the flaxseed with the water and set to one side.
- Grate the courgettes on a coarse grater or use the grating attachment on a food processor.
- Chop the pistachios or blitz up in a food processor.
- Mix together the courgettes, pistachios and lime zest in a large bowl.
- Using a mixer or by hand, whisk together the brown sugar, flax eggs or eggs and oil until smooth.
- Add the wet mixture to the courgette mix.
- Finally fold in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Tip into your tip and smooth out the top.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes, checking after 30 minutes. When a skewer comes out clean your cake is done.
Garnish with lime curd and cream cheese icing (or glace icing if serving vegan).
Vegan Lime Curd
- 5 tsp cornflour
- Juice of 5 limes
- 150g caster sugar
- 200g non-dairy butter, cut into small cubes
- Whisk together the cornflour, lime juice and caster sugar until smooth.
- In a sauce pan, heat gently over a low heat, whisking all the time until thick.
- Once thick transfer to a food processor.
- With the motor running gradually add the butter until it is all incorporated.
- Store in sterilised jars in the fridge.
IMPORTANT - LEAVE IN PLACE